Sunday 6 January 2008

blowing the wistle

The lady outside the building is quite strange. She appears to have no defined role except to dress up in a uniform and blow a whistle at the traffic. For some time I wondered if she were in fact a man but I am told that she is in fact a tomboy and has a girlfreind. So its all very clear now.

Spike has commented that we met on Friday. Its strange I had got a visual image of what he would look like but was out of date by a few months. An evening spent discussing all sorts of shit followed by more beers and pool. Me pretending that drinking and playing pool were complementary and Spike complaining every time he got a ball down that he really was not that good. A great deal of fun.

We met in a bar called Gullivers, at this point I have to own up that I make a very poor pervert. It is fair to say that I do in fact fit into the over 40 fattish white man. However on the plus side I am a proffessional have had a number of wives well two, am 6 foot tall have all my own hair none of which grows from my ears or nose unfettered. I also do not come from the UK for two weeks trying to get as many girls into my bed as possible to make up for the other 50 weeks of enforced celabacy or wear tight trousers and white t shirts. I do not wear shorts and believe that a 20 year old atractice thai lady would not find me remotedly interesting if I was not able to provide her with some economic benefit. Which I hasten to add I do not do because I am in fact very fond of my wife, and satisfied in that direction. I am therefore saddened when I see such men holding hands with girls just old enough to be their grandaughters and learing at their cleavage. I just find it all a bit creepy. However life always has two sides and on Friday while playing pool a chap in a wheel chair was receiving some attention from a rather attractive girl.
They were having a laugh and the fact his legs didnt work was not precluding him from taking an active part in the proceedings. Would this happen in the country he came from I doubt it so in reality im confused. On the one hand its all rather tacky and on the other a guy who would normally struggle to gain attention from a pretty girl is satisfied.

but as they say This Is Thailand.

13 comments:

Spike said...

I should hasten to add that you were being quite charitable in not making fun of my very sorry attempts at playing pool - at least no snide comments that I was able to hear, Buddha only knows what you were saying under your breath.

dgny said...

It took me a long time to reconcile the whole men who couldn't pull at home thing and eventually I came to the conclusion that all relationships are about exchange in one way or another. These are just obvious in the exchange - and what's more, both people have agreed on the terms.

All that said, there's also the grey area of what these girls *really* want and the fact that this is the only way they have of improving their circumstances.

Anonymous said...

962, I don't know what this guy looked like, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions about guys in wheelchairs, either in their ability to pick up, or to do what naturally comes after that.

962 said...

I just checked and I couldnt see that I jumped to conclusions, however, I really appreacite when people sign in as a real person, I find myself being unmoved by any comments written by a person who cant be bothered to call themselves something.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, 962. It's Joyce. Not hiding behind a pseudonym. A slip of the fingers meant i hit 'anonymous' instead of 'nicknname'!
And no offense meant. I wasn't picking on your entry per se. It's just that I've heard it said before: "Thank god for those Thai girls, otherwise guys in wheelchairs would never get any." (It was even said in Michel Houllebecq's novel "Platform," which goes on about the sex industry.) It assumes that anyone in a wheelchair is sad, unattractive, unsexy, etc.
But if you look at the sex club's usual clientele (present company excluded, of course) it's usually filled with sad, unattractive, white-sock-and-sandal-wearing, totally unsexy, able-bodied people who shouldn't be looking down at anyone else at all.

962 said...

Yes I agree
And apologies
However he may very well get a large helping in his home country, however if not he was about to get one.
On the looks front Im no expert but he was better in the motty stakes than half the fat medalion bearers on the night.

Maybe thats why he was being talked to.

I dont know but the point was really, before we cast stones step back and think a little.

ulaca said...

"Sad, unattractive, white-sock-and-sandal-wearing, totally unsexy" - that's enough about Mainland women, Joyce.

dgny said...

I have a big blister on my heel so I have been wearing open-heeled sandals (in the middle of winter). I'm refusing to wear socks with them for exactly this reason.

962, I think Joyce has a fair point about not underestimating peoples' ability to pull (although one could argue the same about the socs-and-sandals guys as the wheelchair guy). I suspect the men who really enjoy the company of such girls are ones who want nice, easy access to sex without emotional obligations - regardless of their looks or "abledness".

Spike said...

Maybe the guy in the wheelchair is a good example, maybe he isn't. You come here and you see old men, cripples, obese, whatever, being treated like emperors.

It's a phenomena that's better described in John Burdett's book Bangkok 8.

Good? Bad? Indifferent? Not for me to say.

962 said...

And I think thats it Spike
Under every stone lies a story

I remember in Hong Kong talking to a girl in a Japanese nightclub.

She was paying her fathers gambling debts. It was that or no father. Am I to judge the rights of that.

Joyce Lau said...

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against working girls / working boys / working boys dressed like girls, etc., just as long as they have tasteful sock-and-shoe combinations. Consenting adults and all that. Didn't mean to make a big fuss. Justing trying to put a good word in for wheelchair guy.
More shameless self-promotion from me, but I just went on and on about the whole Thai sex thing in my blog, after a weekend spent around Soi Nana.
Fumie & Ulaca -- I walked up and down Sukhumvit on a Saturday night and nobody offered me cash for sex this time. Do you think I'm losing my touch?

962 said...

Guess so that didnt even reply!!

Gweipo said...

depends on whether the guy in the wheelchair has let himself slide or not.
One of my mates at university got himself paralysed while diving. But even after the accident he was really active and very sporty (inasmuch as he was able in a wheelchair) and had a torso to swoon for. Conversationally he wasn't half bad either!
I was otherwise occupied at the time, but had that not been the case I may have followed up on the matter!